Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

swim meet days lead to scarves

So already my plan of actually creating a physical something each day has been derailed by a swim meet.  We were there from a bit after 8:00 am to 6:00something.  Until we got home, made dinner, and dealt with house stuff, I was done.  I did sit at the meet, though and come up with an idea.

Largely due to my college freshman's influence, I've been checking out the scarves that are popular right now.  I especially like the ones that are made of soft jersey fabric, are 12 inches or so wide, and are sewn into a big--probably 12 foot long or so--loop.

If you've never been to a swim meet, each kid typically purchases a t-shirt to remember the meet.  Lots of other sports are like this too.  If you've got a couple of kids in a couple of sports, your house can become a t-shirt shrine before you know it.  Well, I've been thinking that I could cut out the image on some of my kids' shirts that are now too small, put that part in a scrap book, and use the fabric that is left to make scarves.  I'll just cut large blocks from the back of each shirt and piece those together to make a long strip.  I'll have to play with the seams to make them look OK from either side--maybe a french seam?  Wish my mom were around to tell me how she did all the cool things she did while sewing!  In any case, I can sew several of these squares together to make one of those long loop scarves.  From there, a simple swim silhouette could be painted or stamped on every other block.  Hmmm.  Have to shop for Christmas today, but hopefully will have enough time this evening to make one!! 

So, scarves made from old, recycled t-shirts are my brainstorm (creative offering) for yesterday--day 4.  Nope, didn't get one actually made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment