Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

cashmere pillows

Nate Berkus gave me this idea on his show; wish it had been mine.  Although I've made pillows from old clothing before, I never thought of using cashmere sweaters as the fabric--brilliant!  Other than 2 cashmere sweaters that I bought for my daughter as special presents, the only cashmere I've ever owned came from a thrift store.  I just can't justify paying that much for clothing for me, but I don't begrudge those who can--cashmere is wonderful!  Being that I got mine from a thrift store, I should have thought of this before!!

My older daughter--a consumate shopper who seems to have inherited my love of thrift shops, Goodwill stores, sidewalk sales and such--got to escape the swim meet yesterday.  She visited a local Goodwill for me and found 2 cashmere sweaters, one red (Merry Christmas!) and one blue.  They were $3 each, yeah!  They're not cable knit, which I would prefer, but they're soft and beautiful.  Only one has a small hole and it's near the neck where I won't use the fabric anyway. 

I will cut the largest "square" piece I can from the front and back of each sweater to make the pillow covers.  I may even use some leftover silk I have to make the backs so I can make 2 pillows from each sweater.  Hmmm, if I use something other than the cashmere for the backs, I can even make each pillow have an envelope closing which takes away the need to sew in a zipper--I like it!  I haven't decided if I want to put some kind of silhouette on the pillows or not. . .I may have to since that is really my latest obsession.  I'd like to put a big covered button or foldover flap on the "front" for looks, but that seems to take too much away from the lovely cashmere feel.  I'll let you know what I actually do!

If you want to do this on your own, look for men's sweaters in the biggest sizes you can find--you get more fabric that way.  Personally, I get so excited when I find cashmere, that I purchase what I find if it's a good price, in good quality, and in a good color.  I love a cable pattern or texture if it's out there, but plain ones are the most common. 

I must master posting photos here!

No comments:

Post a Comment