Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

fabric napkins from men's shirts

Yesterday involved a lot of Christmas shopping.  In my travels, I saw a great black and white graphic tablecloth and black and white fabric napkins that I loved at Marshall's.  As much as I wanted them, I resisted--it was a day for getting presents for other people after all.  (Perhaps if I drop some hints they will wind up under the tree).

When I got home, I kept thinking about them.  Sure sign that I really should have them, right!  Then as I finished some laundry, I realized that the texture of one of the shirts I was folding was nearly like that of the napkins I wanted. 

Hmmm.  Today's efforts will be to make a set of homemade napkins to go with the coveted tablecloth.  Just in case I don't get the one I saw, I'll make the napkins such that they will coordinate with a more simple tablecloth that I already have. 

The napkins at the store were a cool white mensware-like fabric trimmed in black grosgrain  ribbon.  This would take a bit of time but would be simple enough to do. . .but I think I will make mine without the ribbon so they're easier to laundry.  That really means so they won't have to be ironed.  I don't mind ironing as I sew because it leads to some cool new creation, but ironing for the sake of making items look good?  HATE it! 

I have to go and look in the bag of stuff ready to go to Goodwill, but I think I have three or so old shirts there that I can cut into large enough squares to make a set of napkins.   I want to have at least 12, so I'll try to make them coordinate but be mismatched.  I'm just going to do a simple rolled seam on each edge.  Pictures to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment