Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

homemade vanilla

The presents I made for Christmas were such a hit, that I'm already thinking ahead.  I read about people making  homemade vanilla extract, and I'd like to give it a try.  As my siblings and closest friends are bakers, I think it would be appreciated.

As the recipe is supposed to set for 6 months, I believe I'll make a small batch to see how good it really is.  I'll try it about 4 months--should be able to get a feel for its quality then, and if it's good, I'll go ahead and make a gallon like the recipe says.  Then, by Christmas 2011, it should be good and ready.

I saw at least 6 versions of this recipe, so I don't think I can give any one person credit.  Below is what I intend to do for the full batch.

Items needed:
  • 1 gallon pickle jar with lid
  • 1 gallon vodka (two 1.75 liter bottles)
  • 3/4 pound Madagascar vanilla beans

Directions:
  • Use kitchen shears to slice through each bean lengthwise.  Leave 1 inch uncut at one end.
  • Put beans in the jar
  • Fill jar with vodka
  • Put on lid
  • Store in a dark place for 6 months
  • Occasionally shake

At end:
  • Strain beans from vodka.  Bottle.
I priced the Madagascar vanilla beans online and both Olive Nation and Amazon.com have them for similar prices.  I may use 1/2 pound instead of 3/4 since it's less expensive. . .if anything, I'll just decrease the amount of vodka a bit.

The recipes said to use any quality of vodka, but I'm not sure about that yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment